Fuel prices are more volatile than ever, and this winter your heating expenses may be higher than usual. Thankfully, with a few simple and inexpensive conservation strategies, you can reduce your home’s energy use and heating costs. Hinds Energy is an expert in heating efficiency and strives to ensure your comfort while keeping your heating bills as low as possible.
Winter Conservation Tips to Reduce Your Heating Costs
- Make sure your ceiling fans are rotating in the proper direction. Ceiling fans should rotate clockwise in the winter to create an updraft and circulate warm air around the room. During the summer, ceiling fans should rotate counterclockwise to produce a downdraft and a cooling breeze.
- Inspect your home to seal cracks around windows, doors, and outlets on exterior walls. Unsealed cracks can allow warm air to escape or cool air to enter your home. You should also make sure the exterior walls and ceilings are properly insulated.
- Be sure to replace your air filters regularly. Dirty air filters can restrict your ventilation and reduce the efficiency of both your heating and cooling equipment during the winter and summer. Additionally, dirty air filters can cause respiratory problems for you and your family.
- Use the sunlight to your advantage. Open your blinds and curtains during the day, to allow the sun to help heat up your space.
- Insulate your pipes to reduce heat loss. This can also help prevent frozen pipes and costly plumbing repairs.
- If you haven’t already, contact Hinds Energy for an annual tune-up of your heating equipment. Our expert technicians can provide any required repairs to ensure your equipment is operating at optimal efficiency.
- If your heating equipment is more than 10 years old, it may be time to consider upgrading to higher-efficiency equipment. Hinds Energy is happy to discuss your equipment and installation needs with you. We have many high-efficiency heating and cooling options available.
These conservation tips are simple, low-cost ways to improve your home’s energy efficiency and help reduce your heating costs. If you have any questions about energy efficiency or are interested in becoming a Hinds Energy customer, contact us today. If you’re interested in receiving year-round heating and cooling equipment service, our service plans provide you with unbeatable value and unmatched convenience.