Heating season is officially here. Before you fire up your home heating system, there are a few best practices you should consider. Hinds Energy is the trusted home comfort expert for Susquehanna and Wyoming, Pennsylvania counties, and parts of the southern tier of New York. If you need fuel delivery or heating equipment service, we’ve got you covered. Consider these safety tips to protect yourself, your family, and your home while you enjoy the comfort of your heating system.
- Check CO2 and Smoke Detectors: Be sure to replace the batteries in your detectors so they are able to properly function and keep you safe.
- Replace Your Air Filters: Air filters should be checked monthly and replaced if necessary. Dirty filters can cause your HVAC equipment to work twice as hard, causing you to waste energy and money. Additionally, dirty air filters can cause health problems such as asthma, allergies, or other respiratory problems.
- Have Your Vents Cleaned: Cleaning your vents and ductwork can improve the efficiency of your HVAC equipment and allow you to breathe healthier, cleaner air. If your vents need cleaning, contact Hinds Energy to request service.
- Clear Your Driveway and Paths of Snow or Other Debris: When snow starts to accumulate, be sure to clear a path to your fill pipes or fuel storage tanks. This way, our delivery drivers and service technicians can efficiently complete your delivery and keep your home heating system up and running.
- Have a Plan for Emergencies: In the event of a fire, be sure to have an evacuation plan in place. Know the phone number of your local fire department or simply dial 911 to alert them of the situation and send help right away.
- Know the Smell of Propane: Propane is treated with an additive that makes it smell like rotten eggs or skunks’ spray to alert you of a leak. If you smell gas, evacuate the area immediately and then dial 911. Do not return to the area until the fire department says it is safe to do so.
- Consider investing in a standby generator: Severe winter storms can cause a power outage. Be prepared with a generator so your home and its appliances can stay up and running.
Your safety is our top priority at Hinds Energy! We hope these safety tips can help keep you and your loved ones protected throughout the winter. If you have any questions about winter safety information or would like to become a Hinds Energy customer, contact us today.